‘Oh what is this?’ ‘Cauliflower crust pizza?!’ I came across this idea a few months ago whilst flicking through a magazine at the doctor’s and have been longing to make it ever since. Pizza is one of my favourite things – it’s so fun to make, to share and to eat – I love it! I always try and put too much on top from mushrooms and peppers to pineapples and pears but that’s the beauty of having your very own pizza kitchen: you can make it into any shape you like, put as much cheese on top as you could possibly want and add toppings other people may find strange (banana?!) Pizza is such a creative food, made even more so with this wondrous cauliflower crust. It’s so beautifully simple, easy and yummy So why not give it a go – I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Makes one medium size pizza
½ a cauliflower
salt and pepper
a handful of cheese (optional)
your favourite cheese – mozzarella, cheddar, marmite cheese
as many vegetables or imaginative toppings as your heart desires
mixed herbs, oregano, basil
- Break the cauliflower into small florets and put in a food processor. Blend until finely ground.
- Cook the cauliflower in the microwave in a microwaveable bowl for 6-7 minutes. Alternatively, you can cook it in the oven on a tray lined with baking paper for 12-15 minutes. Once cooked, allow to cool and then place in a tea towel and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Combine the cauliflower in a bowl with the egg, seasoning and cheese to form a dough.
- On a baking tray or pizza tray lined with greaseproof paper, pat the dough into a round, heart-shaped or star-shaped shape and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Then top with your tomato sauce, cheese, vegetables and herbs and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Enjoy!